Holiday Cards

I made my holiday cards for Valentine’s Day and Christmas.  I wanted to make a Christmas card where the customer could customize it with family photos but I didn’t think that was possible with our way of selling the cards so I settled for an ornament.  I chose to go with a heart moon for the Valentine’s Day because of the old romance movies where people say they’d give the woman the moon.

Skills

I learned how to make a psychedelic background with gradients.  I learn how all the gradient settings (difference vs hue, color vs highlights, etc..) work and when best to use them.  I also learned an easier way to morph text in Illustrator but I would need to go back to CS5 to use it because I can’t find a tutorial on it in CC.  I’m looking to learn how to convert part of an image to text next.

Job Shadow

I was recently told I wouldn’t be able to job shadow the person who I previously thought I’d be able to.  I’m looking for another game developer or photographer to job shadow.  It will be hard to find either because game devs are usually unlisted if they’re small and will deny me if they are big.  Photographers usually stay inside and take portrait photography and ones that go out to lakes, woods, weddings, mountain, etc.. will usually not want a high-schooler to mess up their opportunity.

Duplicates Ink

Duplicates Ink seemed smaller and more manual than Sheriar Press.  When I was told duplicates Ink was rated higher than Sheriar I thought that was weird since Sheriar has less room for human error but after thinking over the weekend I realized in the design business everything is based off of human eye and if a machine is told to make a mistake it will make one.  With the exceptions of the basic equipment like printers, measuring equipment, and cutting equipment, there’s just as much room for human error no matter how many machines there are and if there’re more machines then there’s more room for human error.

Veteran’s Day

Veteran’s Day wasn’t all that good for my family.  My family’s presence in the war is quite a lot.  My father was really angry about the riots because they were burning the flag.  I even found myself tearing up when I heard an elderly man my father’s age was beaten and had his car stolen by protesters.  My parents tell me not to talk about politics in public because they fear I’ll get attacked but I tell them I won’t live in fear.  FDR, my favorite president, said “We have nothing to fear but fear itself” and I am terrified that I should fear my right to speak, that I should fear what my uncle died for.  My mom isn’t happy but I can tell my dad is proud.  I’m so afraid we’ll have a civil war like they’ve been predicting.  My sister and brother in law are mad at my parents, just like in the first civil war, brothers fought their own brothers.  I don’t want my family to be divided.  I wish they would look past a stupid opinion and look at the character of my parents.  It’s true that your opinions reflect on your character but it isn’t true in politics.  That was my Veteran’s Day.  A rude awakening.

One thought on “A rude Awakening